We are looking for an additional volunteer for our Research & Campaigns Team. You will have the chance to make a real difference in our community, improve people’s lives and contribute to the development of national and local policies and services.
Citizens Advice Richmond provides free, confidential and impartial advice to those who live, work or study in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.
Our Research & Campaigns Team uses clients’ experiences and stories to identify areas that call for changes in policy or delivery of services as well as carrying out broadly based research to investigate emerging problems. For more details visit our website: www.citizensadvicerichmond.org.
What the Volunteer will do:
- work with the existing team (two volunteers) to summarise evidence of areas
where policy or delivery needs to change
- take part in projects to analyse issues in greater depth and help to draft reports
and mount campaigns on topics that require urgent attention
- help to reach out to local organisations and media channels to deliver our key messages and present our recommendations for change effectively
- (if you have appropriate skills and experience) help to leverage social media to get our messages across
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A keen sense of social justice and a determination to promote positive change
- Good computer literacy
- The ability to work effectively with colleagues in the team and across the organisation
- Able to work with minimal direct supervision – a self-starter
- Some direct experience of advising or working with vulnerable people
- Skills and previous experience in extracting and analysing complex information,
including statistics, and presenting it clearly and concisely
- Experience of keeping up to date with developments in other local and national
organisations and networking with them effectively when required
What’s in it for you:
- An opportunity to gain insight into a wide range of important issues that affect people who live, work or study in the borough and to campaign for changes that will improve their lives
- An opportunity to learn new skills and develop existing ones
- You will be welcomed as part of a friendly and committed team and be in contact with other volunteers and paid staff in a supportive environment
- You will receive introductory training in Citizens Advice’s main areas of advice and further training in areas involved in the team’s projects
We want to recruit a volunteer to become a permanent member of our Research and Campaigns team. We expect a regular long-term commitment of 1-2 full days per week for at least two years. Currently there is no office-based activity for the team, so you will need to be able to work from home in telephone, video conference and email contact with other members of the team.
You will need to have access to the internet at home and preferably your own laptop or PC. Our IT team will help you to set up a new user account on your home computer so that you can keep your work for our team separate from your main user account. (This new user account can then easily be removed at a later date if you stop working for the team to protect the confidentiality of any data that has been analysed about individual clients). If this arrangement does not work for you, the IT team will aim to provide you with a temporary computer geared specifically to your work for the team.
When normal office-based activities resume you may be asked to attend occasional meetings at our Hampton Hill or Sheen office as the need arises, or with local organisations, but most of your work will continue to be home based.
Application deadline: as soon as possible, Please use the form below to apply – or download a Word copy HERE
If you would like to find out more about this exciting role, please contact Quentin
Maxwell-Jackson – email@example.com